Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Almost Halfway There

Yes, folks, we are almost halfway through Februrary, which isn't saying much, as the month is only twenty-eight days long. But I ask you, whoever you happen to be- why does a month that is only twenty-eight days seem so long? I speak from my experiences as a New Englander pretty much all my life- except for that silly time where I grew up in New York City(where it always rains in the winter, and whatever snow we got was never white)- February is the kind of month that seems to limp along. I bet if you ask the folks down in Washington D.C. and Baltimore, they might agree with me. Here in Maine, we haven't had much snow- the Wharf's parking lot is bare and ice free(which is a rare event in the winter)- but the temperatures have been cold. Of course, this leads to the discourse about the activities that are appropriate for times when it is too cold to go outside, but I digress; four more days, and we will be half through with this month. Valentine's Day is coming up, and I am sure that the Hallmark card department is working overtime and the whomever makes all the chocolates that people buy are in full production. And yes, folks, Valentine's Day is the central hub around which this month spins, exactly fourteen days into the month, celebrating the abundance of love or the lack thereof, or somewhere in between. So, I would encourage everyone, grab someone warm and something cold, stay inside, and dream simple dreams of warm breezes off the ocean, the cries of diving seagulls, and a plate of the best onion rings in Boothbay Harbor at the Fisherman's Wharf Inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment